The Algernon Sydney Sullivan House was dedicated on February 23, 1948. An article in th Orlando Sentinel for the 24th of February, 1948, titled "New Building Dedicated by Rollins College" describes the ceremony: "Rollins College yesterday dedicated the Sullivan Memorial building, gift to the college from the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Foundation of New York City.
The building, which is a memorial to Algernon Sydney Sullivan, southern philanthropist, was accepted for the college by President Hamilton Holt. William E. Bardusch, president, turned the building over to the college on behalf of the Sullivan Foundation.
Frances Montgomery and John Bistline, student recipients of the Sullivan award, presented each year to the graduating man and woman considered to possess characteristics of love and helpfulness toward other men and women, unveiled the plaque which was written by George Hammond Sullivan, son of the late philanthropist.
Donald A. Cheney, assistant to President Holt, presided. H. C. Cone, contractor and George H. Spohn, architect, spoke while Dean Theodore S. Darrah of the Knowles Memorial Chapel gave the invocation, prayer of dedication and benediction.
The building, to be used for English classes and for meetings of cultural and social[sic] groups, is the first of two near units constructed for the English department."
Also during the dedication, Hamilton Holt announced that the Sullivan House "will be managed by a committee made up of those who have received the Medallion and will be used for any idealistic and good purposes for the advantage of Rollins College... this committee will be the custodians of the building."