The Bush Science Center was named in memory of the late Archibald Granville Bush, business executive and philanthropist, whose gift of $800,000 to Rollins College made the project possible. His career began in 1909 when he became assistant bookkeeper of Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company. Forty years later he became chairman of the executive committee of its board of directors, a position he held until his death in 1966.
The Bush Science Center provides facilities for instruction and research in biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. The Center contains a 347-seat auditorium and a 94-seat demonstration-lecture room as well as numerous laboratories and smaller classrooms. A precision machine shop, a lead-shielded room for redioisotopes, and a roof-top deck for astronomical observation are but a few of the many features of the Center. Other facilities and special equipment are also available to students.